Best Knee Replacement Hospital: DITO
Expert Surgeon Dr. Shekhar Agarwal explains knee Replacement Surgery
The knee joint is the largest and the most complex joint of the body. It provides us with support and mobility for movements of our daily living like walking, sitting, squatting, turning, running, driving, and dancing. Due to Arthritis, the knee joint becomes damaged leading to the knee becoming stiff and swollen. It is only then that we realize what freedom of movement means to us.
When a person is suffering from end stage arthritis which cannot be helped through oral medication, knee replacement surgery becomes the only option.
Total knee replacement is an operation in which we do not remove the whole joint, only the damaged surface of thigh bone (femur) and shin bone (tibia) are removed. Often, the underside of the knee cap (patella) is also removed and these surfaces are replaced with artificial parts. It is an operation where one is resurfacing the damaged knee joint, as is done in capping a damaged tooth.
Options for knee replacement surgery are:
- Primary Total Knee Replacement Surgery: Unilateral / Bilateral same sitting.
- a. Symptoms: Pain in knee, difficulty walking and climbing stairs, deformity in knees such as valgus deformity (knock knees) or varus deformity
- Primary Uni-Compartmental Knee Replacement Surgery: Unilateral / Bilateral same sitting.
- a. Symptoms: Early stage arthritis causing damage to one part of the knee.
- Patient Specific Instrument Knee Replacement Surgery:
- a. This advanced technique allows customization of the operation specially designed for you and results in a more accurate fitting of the artificial joint. The operation becomes simpler and easier, the recovery is faster and the long-term success will undoubtedly be better.
- Revision Knee Replacement Surgery:
- a. Loosening of prosthesis, infected prosthesis, or traumatic fall leading to fracture.
- b. Revision surgery is more demanding and requires use of a specialized complex implants.
- c. Trabecular metal technology: Replaces lost or damaged bone with trabecular metal which is structurally similar to bone.
d. At DITO, revision knee surgery is conducted on a regular basis with excellent long-term results.
Under the leadership of Dr.Shekhar Agarwal, Delhi Institute of Trauma and Orthopaedics is one of the best hospitals in Delhi and pan India for joint replacement surgery which includes knee replacement, hip replacement, shoulder replacement and elbow replacement. Dr.Shekhar Agarwal is also one of the only doctors who does complicated revision joint replacement surgery and is considered one of the best in the field. At Delhi Institute of Trauma & Orthopaedics, results for knee replacement surgery are the best in class.
For more information please visit www.drshekharagarwal.com